Thursday, September 6, 2007

Why bother?

Sometimes like last Friday I got to work one hour and fifteen minutes before we opened. Why? I couldn't sleep so I figured I might as well go on and get up and head to work and do some stuff there. Got a good bit accomplished. No one cared. So many times I try to go an extra step to make something nice or do something nice. No one cares. Why bother? Our city doesn't care. I have no way of moving up in this place. We don't get raises. The only time I have any real job satisfaction lately is if I can really help someone find the books or information they need. I have no satisfaction in logging people on the computer and then them get mad at me because I will only let them have 30 minutes to check their email/MySpace because there are four other people waiting to do the same thing.

The same is true for all of us in our blighted little ghetto city. Our library works like crazy and still no one cares. The only thing that matters to them is that we have computers and air conditioning.

No comments: